I love a hot breakfast after a chilly night sleeping in our tent. On our recent trip to the Smoky Mountains, we made pie iron breakfast sandwiches. They were sooo good.
These breakfast sandwiches are filled with egg, cheese and sausage. You don’t pre-cook the egg, so it kind of coats the bread and tastes a bit like french toast. Yum.
Even this guy stopped by to beg for one. Sorry Mr. Squirrel, we don’t give handouts.
Start by melting butter in a pre-warmed pie iron.
Place two slices of bread in the pie iron and squish down the middle of both slices to make room for the fillings. Pour egg into one of the slices of bread, being careful to not overfill it (I forgot to snap a photo of this step).
Cover the egg with a slice of cheese and put a sausage in the other side of the pie iron.
Cook over a fire, turning every few minutes until the egg is set and the cheese is melted. Enjoy with a mug of hot coffee!
Pie Iron Breakfast Sandwiches
Makes 6, Vegetarian (or not)
- 12 slices sandwich bread
- 4 eggs
- 6 defrosted vegetarian sausages (or pre-cooked sausages)
- 6 slices sharp cheddar
- pie iron
- butter knife
- Preheat pie iron over fire.
- Meanwhile, lightly beat eggs.
- Coat inside of the pie iron with butter.
- Fill both sides of pie iron with bread. Squish down the middle of the bread to make room for the filling.
- Pour egg into the indentation in one of the slices of bread. Do not overfill. Top egg with cheese. Put sausage on other slice of bread.
- Close pie iron. Cook over fire, turning frequently, until the egg is set and the cheese is melted.