Quesadillas are one of my favorite things to make in our pie irons. Tortillas work really well in the pie iron, forming a pocket to hold ingredients without sticking. On our recent camping trip we made Pie Iron Fajita Quesadillas. At home, pre-cook peppers and onions in a skillet with a little fajita seasoning.
At camp, put the cooked vegetables and cheese between two flour tortillas in a lightly oiled pie iron. Tear off the edges of the tortilla after you close the pie iron. Then heat over the campfire until the cheese melts and the tortilla is lightly toasted.
Top with salsa and guacamole and enjoy!
Pie Iron Fajita Quesadillas
Makes 6, Vegetarian
- 3 bell peppers (some combination of red, yellow, orange or green)
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Fajita seasoning, to taste
- cooking spray
- 12 flour tortillas
- 6 slices cheddar
- pie iron
- butter knife
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers & onions and sauté until onions are translucent. Add fajita seasoning to taste and cook for an extra 2 minutes. Let cool and store in refrigerator or cooler.
- Spray pie iron with cooking spray. Place a tortilla in one side of the pie iron.
- Fill tortilla with cheddar slice and fajita mixture.
- Top with another tortilla and close pie iron. Tear off the edges of the tortillas.
- Heat pie iron over fire, turning occasionally, until the tortilla is toasted and the cheese is melted.
- Release quesadilla from pie iron, using butter knife if necessary. Serve with salsa and guacamole.