On a chilly day, pie iron quesadillas make a great lunch. Tortillas work well in a pie iron, creating crispy pockets you can fill with a variety of ingredients.
In this recipe, I keep things traditional with beans, cheese and salsa. For more creative options, fill your tortillas with pizza toppings, canned pie filling or ham and cheese.
Spray the pie iron with cooking spray and then fill it with tortillas, refried beans and cheese.
Buy tortillas that are slightly larger than your pie iron. Once the pie iron is closed, tear off the edges of the tortilla to prevent burning.
Heat over the fire, turning for even cooking.
Pie Iron Quesadillas
Makes 6, Vegetarian
- cooking spray
- 12 flour or corn tortillas
- 16 oz can refried beans
- 12 ounces shredded sharp cheddar
- pie iron
- butter knife
- Spray pie iron with cooking spray and lay a tortilla over each side of the pie iron.
- Spread refried beans in the center of tortilla.
- Top refried beans with shredded cheese.
- Close pie iron and tear off the edges of the tortilla.
- Heat pie iron over fire, turning frequently, until the tortilla is toasted and the cheese is melted.
- Top with salsa and serve.